Author Topic: Coolant change question ELC to replace origina?  (Read 2465 times)

Paul Aronson

• BAC Member
Coolant change question ELC to replace origina?
« on: May 10, 2019, 02:33:35 AM »
I planed to replace the engine coolant in my Cat C15 (2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder Winchester). The mechanic I talked with cautioned me there may be compatibility issues with some components  (not the engine itself) like the radiator, Aqua Hot etc. Indicated the ELC coolant may possibly degrade the solder/plastic/aluminum. His recommendation was to replace the coolant with original type ONLY. I am not sure what is currently installed but will find out.

Has anybody run across this word of caution? Cant find any warnings etc when researching the Cat ELC coolant but sure I have not read everything. Anybody have long term experience with installing ELC coolant in a 2007 timeframe Beaver? I am very inclined to use the ELC but felt it prudent to follow up. All input appreciated.
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder Winchester III
45' C-13 525 Hp
2013 Chevy Traverse

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Coolant change question ELC to replace origina?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 03:53:01 AM »
Paul,
Don't use ELC in the Aqua Hot. It needs boiler anti freeze (propylene glycol)and it is available in concentrate form, (mix 50/50 w/distilled water)  at Camping World and other sources premixed https://www.amazon.com/Camco-30027-Boiler-Antifreeze/dp/B006JRKQ48/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=aqua+hot+antifreeze&qid=1557456084&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Never heard of your mechanic's other concerns. Many members are running ELC and are very satisfied. If current coolant is red in color, it is probably ELC. If green it is standard ethlyne glycol. If green, be sure to flush system completely (3-4 cycles of water) as mixing green and red will cause foaming and lack of cooling. Flush 3 times with water, then final flush with distilled water. Drain and add 1 gal of concentrated ELC. Then refill rest with 50/50 mix.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp
The following users thanked this post: Don and Kathy DuCharme

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 06:08:15 AM »
I agree with Steve and have no idea what your mechanic is referring to.  ELC showed up around the same era yours and my coaches were made.  Yours may have came from the factory with it, and certainly there is no threat to the radiator, nor to the AquaHot that hot engine coolant can circulate to.

As Steve notes, your era rig should be using Camco Boiler Fluid in its AquaHot, available at some True Value outlets, Camping World, and many diesel coach dealerships.   https://www.campingworld.com/boiler-antifreeze-concentrate---32-oz.-38599.html       Some may use the green type glycol, but if what’s in the expansion tank is pink, use the Boiler fluid as per jug directions.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 09:31:26 PM »
Paul,
When you stated your concern about ELC compatibility with the Aqua Hot, I am assuming that you are only referring to the engine coolant heat exchanger in the Aqua Hot. If so, the is no compatibility issues with using ELC coolant in your coach. However, if you were considering using ELC in the Aqua Hot unit itself, Steve is right, that is unsafe. The Aqua Hot in your coach does not have a double wall heat exchanger for the domestic water supply like the earlier units, so you can only safely use non-toxic boiler fluid.

Gerald   

Paul Aronson

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 12:32:04 AM »
Thank you all for the replies. Yes the question is for the engine ONLY. Aqua Hot fluid is a seperate item as discussed above.

I had never heard this type of caution voiced for engine coolant previously so felt the need to folow up. Thanks Again. The Cat ELC should be fine in the engine only.
2007 Beaver Patriot Thunder Winchester III
45' C-13 525 Hp
2013 Chevy Traverse

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2019, 05:51:19 AM »
Paul
We hat the coolant changed over in each of our past Beavers with no problems.  Each time we provided the shop the ELC  and they used their machine to flush it all the way into the dash heater.  After clear water they pushed the ELC through.  No air bubbles and no worries.  No more 2 year changes and additives.  This is on my to do list also.
Good luck!
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!