Author Topic: Hwh leveling system.  (Read 10836 times)

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
Re: Hwh leveling system.
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2019, 05:34:32 AM »
Much perhaps to HWH’s chagrin, that’s what we were instructed during walk-thru at BCS... “slides out first and in last”.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2019, 02:50:07 PM »
    One more thought while we are talking about gigantic openings in the sides of our coaches is this: If you have an issue and the coach needs to be towed, NEVER let a tow truck lift your coach off the ground from the front. ALWAYS have it "flat bedded" to its destination. Not always a convenient decision but worth the wait to have one show up. 40 to 45 foot coaches with 4 slides have 4 big openings and it doesn't take much to tweak the geometry between the box and the chassis. A "low boy" flat bed is what you ask for to keep your grief to a minimum.
   Happy trails, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2019, 11:57:49 PM »
So let me get this straight. The Service Manager @ HWH is saying to level first, then run the slides out, but the "General Consensus" is saying the opposite?

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2019, 12:04:38 AM »
Dennis, I had my MH parked beside my house and leveled.  One day I decided to check something and I needed to move the living room slide in.  I thought, "it is level, it should not be any problem." I moved the slide in without starting the engine to raise it up to ride height. It caught the mirror on the wall between the kitchen and the bathroom. It bent the brackets and broke the bottom of the mirror.  I now ALWAYS raise it up to ride height before moving the slides in or out.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2019, 01:32:11 AM »
Dennis,
It is not consensus but Monaco and SMC before them due to the reasons noted previously in this thread. But, it's your coach and $ so you are free to listen to whomever you wish.
Steve
Steve
2015-          07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2019, 03:05:36 AM »
So let me get this straight. The Service Manager @ HWH is saying to level first, then run the slides out, but the "General Consensus" is saying the opposite?

Dennis,
That is exactly what he told me. I choose to do as instructed in the owner's manual for my coach.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2019, 03:02:48 PM »
When I first bought my coach I did not have a manual.  I did what seemed right and leveled first before putting slides out.  My driver's side slide always rubbed the trim on the top of the slide and it was coming loose.  I asked about it either here or another forum and was promptly told to read the manual and follow it!  Then the nicer folks explained it as Fred Brookes did above.  It has never rubbed when at ride height, only when level. 
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2019, 03:57:50 PM »
Thank You Stan. As always, we greatly appreciate the knowledge you & this forum provides. We have always leveled first, then slides out, mainly due to the P. O. telling us that's how he did it, & also our slides do not operate with the ignition on & the manual recommends the engine be running while leveling. We want to do what's best, so we will adjust accordingly. On another note, did the HWH manager say anything about resets of the system. We have to do ours too often. Once again, Thanx

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2019, 04:53:37 PM »
On another note, did the HWH manager say anything about resets of the system. We have to do ours too often. Once again, Thanx

Dennis,
I told him my procedure for hitting the emergency stop when leveling. And then hitting the reset to bring it to ride height when we air up to go. He said that was an okay practice.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2019, 07:59:54 PM »
Dennis, instinct at least for me has always been that once parked I go straight for the leveling panel.  Fortunately I have a monitoring system called Lee for a back up.  One thing that for some reason really stuck with her during our BCS walk-through was the “slides out first and in last” part, driven home by the “instructor” and reinforced by other staff later.  So every time I try to start leveling before getting out of the drivers seat, my back-up system sounds off!

Back ups are a good thing to have 😉.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2019, 10:22:00 PM »
I have an '06 Monterey that I have owned for two years (air leveling only).  I did not have the advantage of having someone tell me the proper order of slide operation and leveling.  I had to learn the hard way (experience is a hard task master).  The first time I set up in a campground, I leveled first and then put the slides out (seemingly no problems).  However, when I got ready to leave, I brought the slides in before I aired up in travel mode.  I heard a bit of a crunch just as the large living room slide came all the way in (the one with the storage bays attached to the bottom of it).  There was evidently enough of a twist in the coach body that the front bay door caught on the side of the coach as the slide came in.  The plastic slam latch could not hold the pressure and was therefor destroyed (thankfully, that was the only thing destroyed).  Ever since that experience, I have extended the front two slides while still aired up in travel mode and retracted them only after airing up in travel mode.  No more problems.  The two rear bedroom slides have a totally different configuration and it would make no difference for those two.

I thoroughly enjoy learning from this forum and only wish I had found it sooner so I could have avoided some of those bad experiences.

Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2019, 07:09:58 PM »
Thanx Richard. So, no problems with the rear slides going out last & in first?

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2019, 10:34:36 PM »
Dennis

The rear (bedroom) slides are not in a position to be impacted by frame twisting while leveling.  There position in relation to the rear axle holds them rather rigid.  The front slides on the Monterey (particularly the drivers side) have significant potential for twisting.  Add that to the close tolerances of the slide opening (particularly the bay doors underneath) and you have the potential for impact.  So, it becomes critical on the front slides that they be opened and closed with as little frame twisting as possible (up on air in travel mode).  When you are in travel mode, the front air bags are controlled by a single air source.  Effectively the front axle is allowed to float without undue twisting of the body.  When you invoke the HWH air leveling controller, the front axle has independent air source for each side creating the potential for body twisting.  If you had a ride height system that was plumbed differently (some mfgs are), then you would have a different routine for leveling.  That is why there is significant confusion as to what routine to follow. 

Richard   
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp
The following users thanked this post: Stan Simpson, Bob Stone