Author Topic: Hwh leveling system.  (Read 10836 times)

Robert Wagner

Hwh leveling system.
« on: July 22, 2019, 10:44:44 PM »
We took our coach in to be serviced as the front auxiliary pump had given out.  Went to pick it up today and it won’t go into travel mode.  They replaced the front pump so that shouldn’t have done anything.  Now they say it won’t go into travel mode and we need a new control panel for the hwh system.  Has anyone had this problem???

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
  • One mile South of the Cheddar Curtain
Re: Hwh leveling system.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 11:10:46 PM »
Are you aware there is re-set button in the electrical bay (the one in front of the street-side front tire). Its red and right next to the switch that operates the power slide-out for your generator. You can click on the attached photo to make it bigger.
Stan Simpson & Becky Glover & Moe the cat
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Robert Wagner

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 11:30:12 PM »
Well right now it’s in the shop.  Will that re establish the travel mode? 

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 12:32:47 AM »
It always has for me. I hit the re-set and when I go back in the coach and turn the key, the "wait to travel" light comes on the dash, and I can touch the "travel" on the touch pad, and it brings the coach to ride height. I do it while the coach is running.

The thing that causes me to use the re-set is this: I have air leveling only. Most of the time, I use the auto leveling. Sometimes in the process of leveling, one of these two things occurs. The front to back shows that either the front needs to go down or the rear needs to come up. For some reason, the light that tells me the front to back is out of level will not go off (not every time, just sometimes) even after Becky tells me the level she has on the kitchen counter/and then the bathroom counter shows us level. I hit the emergency shut off to stop the process. The touch pad will not work after I do that until I go out and hit the re-set button.

Coincidentally, I'm stopped near Moscow, Iowa and have an appointment with the HWH factory for Wednesday morning. I need them to tell my why the system is not working as it should. I'm too old to crawl around under the coach looking at ride height sensors, air bags, and the like.

2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Robert Wagner

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 12:55:16 AM »
Well let me know what they say.  The shop is apparently talking with HWH. I will try the reset when I go in tomorrow morning.  Thanks so much for your input.  Good luck at hwh. 

Dennis Belfils

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 03:35:19 AM »
We too would like to know why also. We have been having to reset ours nearly every time we move. Had a new touch panel & main board replaced a little over a year ago. Please keep us posted Stan. Thanx

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 01:26:47 PM »
A little off subject!  I do not have the reset button on my 03 as noted above.  I don't see one.  Is that only on newer coaches?  If not, where did they hide them on the older models?  Thanks sorry for the change of main subject.
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Mike Shumack

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 02:15:02 PM »
Jerry, do you have "Air Leveling" in addition to your hydraulic levelers?

Jerry Emert

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 04:15:50 PM »
Yes!
Jerry, Chief USN Retired
2003 Patriot Thunder Lexington 40' 3 Slides
C-12 Ser#  2KS89983
4000MH

Robert Wagner

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 04:44:20 PM »
Well apparently they did many many resets.  They are on the phone with HWH right now.  Hoping they can fix what they broke.  Right now it’s not drivable. We live in it so that makes things a little hard. 

Robert Wagner

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 03:43:57 PM »
Update.

It needs a new control module and one is on the way.  They fixed it so we can drive it and all is well.  Take it back in when module is here.  Thanks for you advise and help

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 03:47:39 AM »
Just an update on my visit to HWH this morning. I have nothing wrong (that I know of) with my leveling system or the slide outs. We were going right by there on the way home, so we scheduled an appointment just to get some things explained from "the horse's mouth", as they say. We met with Lon the service manager. He ran our slide outs in and out and pronounced them in good condition, even the bedroom one the squeals like a pig going in or out. He said that is normal and should be ignored. He also informed us that our two living room slides are not HWH equipment, only the two bedroom slides. I don't know yet (haven't looked yet) who makes them. He said they were in good condition. On to the air leveling. The first thing he did was level the coach with the slides in. My manual says to level when the slides are out. He said they are on a crusade to educate manufacturers and end users to this practice. He also said it was unnecessary to lubricate the slide mechanisms in any fashion. I was in the service bay for a little over a half hour and the charge was zero.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad

Mike Shumack

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 01:01:09 PM »
The general consensus is that you should run the slides in and out at "Ride" height. Once the Slides are out then Level, and return coach to Ride height before running the slides back in.

The reason is that at Ride height the frame rails are parallel and the Slide room is square to the body opening.
If you level first on uneven ground, the frame or body may have some twist in it as one corner, or side, of the coach lifts and the other side doesn't.  That frame/body twist can cause the Slide to drag in the body opening as it runs in or out, or load the support rollers unequally.

If the ground was "level", then it would not matter if you run the Slides in or out at Ride Height or if you Level first.

We all know how much the frame/body can twist during leveling - as it can even cause the windshield to crack when at extreme.

That makes sense to me.

Robert Wagner

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2019, 01:55:47 AM »
Yup that’s what we do too

Stan Simpson

• BAC Member
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2019, 03:56:49 AM »
I agree with both of you. That's what we have always done, and will continue.
2005 Monterey Laguna IV
C9 400 Cat
Honda CRV toad