Author Topic: No power at water pump Fix and a water leak band aid  (Read 2303 times)

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
No power at water pump Fix and a water leak band aid
« on: March 19, 2020, 02:08:34 AM »
I am just documenting this to maybe help others in the future.  I  had to go through this today to get my water pump going and my water system sanitized.

Going back to the start, I was going to dump my fresh water tank so I could then sanitize it.  I pulled the dump lever and nothing!  Crawled under the coach and found that a prior owner had installed a pipe plug in the outlet!  Unscrewed it pried it out, pulled the lever and out comes near 100 gallons of old water.  Start to add more water so I can sanitize the tank and system and see a small leak at the dump pipe.  There's the reason for the pipe plug.
I don't have the parts or time today to fix the tank seal, but will order it and fix it properly.

Needing to sanitize the tank I decided to follow the prior owners shortcut.  The pipe plug would no longer seal as it had been over tightened and cracked the abs pipe.  I decided to get a 1 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch pvc bushing.  I screwed a 1/2 inch hose barb into the bushing and chucked it into a drill press.  Sanded it down until it was small enough to fit inside the abs pipe and glued it in with transition cement.  There was not enough of the pipe sticking through the sealed area to use a 1  1/2 inch bushing over the abs pipe.  I added a 1/4 turn boiler faucet so I could drain it through a hose next time instead of directly under the coach.  That's my band aid for now

I added bleach and filled the tank with water.  Turned on the pump switch on the remote over the door , the pump light came on and nothing!  It was working a few months earlier. Checked the fuse and it was good.  Checked power at  the pump and no power.  Pulled off the positive lead and jumpered it to the positive cable going to the inverter and the pump started running.  So now I know that the pump works.  I tried to follow the wires to see if there was a inline fuse, dead end.  Then I went inside and removed the remote over the passengers seat.  Tested the switch and only got 11.9 volts even though the pump light came on.

I pulled out all the wiring and unplugged the connector plugged it back in flipped the switch and the pump started working.  Flipped it again and it didn't work.  I cleaned all of the contacts which looked fine and it still didn't work.  Pushed the connector together tightly and it worked again.  I got a cable tie and put it around the connector and tightened it up.  Now it is working like it should. 

As a side note as far as I can tell I only have one switch for the water pump, the one in the remote.  I have another switch labeled water pump, see picture, but it operates a pump for the Hurricane heating system.  I understand that some people have more than one switch.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
Re: No power at water pump Fix and a water leak band aid
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2020, 03:06:06 AM »
Yes, we have four water pump ON/OFF toggle switches but we have a newer coach.  We can turn the pump ON/OFF from any of the four switches - turn the water pump ON using any switch and turn the water pump OFF using any switch.  Our four switches are located 1) at the kitchen sink under the counter, 2) in the loo on the wall beside the sink, 3) at the bedroom lavatory under the counter, and 4) at the outside water bay.

I believe the several ON/OFF switches need to be momentary-type switches.  The switches all go through a single latching relay.  The latching relay turns the water pump ON/OFF.  When the latching relay senses any momentary switch has been pressed, then it turns ON the water pump if it was OFF, or turns OFF the water pump if it was ON.

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,284.msg1394.html#msg1394

You will want to read the whole thread.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 01:47:13 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2020, 02:14:49 PM »
    Hi Carl, I am pretty sure your coach has a water pump controller. It is usually located on a wall somewhere near the water pump. Maybe someone with a 98 Beaver could advise. This device turns the water pump on & off by switching the "ground on or off" This allows multiple water pump switches to interface with one controller. The picture is what you are looking for. The adventure continues, and I hope this helps, Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2020, 11:32:53 PM »
Thanks everyone,  I am pretty sure I only have the one switch.  I can turn it on and off now with no problems.  My second switch labeled water pump turns on a separate pump next to the Hurricane heating system and under the Seaward water heater on the opposite side of the coach.  It is with the switch that turns on the engine heating for the hurricane system.
A second switch would be great, but I don't think it will be worth adding to my system. 

Fred, I don't have anything like whats in the picture anywhere near my water pump.  Really I am just happy every thing is working again.  I am also glad that I can now direct the water through a garden hose to where I want it when I decide to empty the tank.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126
The following users thanked this post: Fred Brooks

Fred Brooks

• BAC Member
  • RVIA Certified Luxury Technician 49 years, Retired
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2020, 01:42:16 PM »
  Carl, I am wrong, that didn't come along until Monaco took over. Previously they had there own version of a latching relays up until then. I don't have a schematic of the wiring diagram. The relays were mounted inside the water pump "box" along with the filters and related stuff. Sorry for bad info, sucks getting old!  Fred
Fred & Cindy Brooks
2000 Marquis, Jasper
C-12 Wild Cat (U of A)
2014 Honda CRV
Proverbs 3: 5 & 6