Author Topic: creepy window seals  (Read 1583 times)

Richard Good

• BAC Member
creepy window seals
« on: December 15, 2022, 10:49:01 PM »
I have a 98 Beaver Patriot Ticonderoga. Over the last couple of years the window seals have crept in on all but 2 of the windows. I spoke to Dave Root back in the summer, but he never replied to my email questions regarding any balance of material not in the kits. Since then he does not respond and it appears he is  out of business, so I am unable to buy kits from him. I had planned to buy the material and repair the windows myself. As I do not have inside storage, it is not a job I can start and leave if I find I am missing something. There is an outfit in Florida, Darren Thomas Glass who will do all the windows for about $7k, but I am a do it yourself guy for many items, so was hoping to tackle this myself. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Is there another source for material? I have seen kits available on eBay and Amazon, but I really cannot tell if they have everything necessary. Once I have completed one, it will obviously become easier.
98 Patriot Ticonderoga, CAT 3126, Blue Ox Towbar, 2023 Kia Forte GT manual.

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
Re: creepy window seals
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2022, 12:00:32 AM »
Richard
4 years ago I did all the windows in my coach I used Dave Roots kits if I remember I used one large kit and one of his smaller kit it went very well but it is not a job for the faint of heart as the some of the windows are heavy and cutting out the old seals and scraping off the glass is the hardest part .
Buy your self an electric caulking gun to reseal with your hands will thank you.
You'll need a table large enough to lay out clean and assemble your glasses
What you need to know first is how thick your glass sandwich is to get the correct spacer seal.
I haven't delt with Dave since I did my windows I don't know if he's still in business .
You may be able to get what you need ( seal spacer by the foot and back fill sealant) from a local glass company

Here's his web site

https://www.daverootrvglassrepair.com/diykits.html

Hope this helps
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.

Carl Boger

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2022, 01:15:44 AM »
Richard,

I am not sure what part of the country you are in, but I pulled my windows out and took them to sun coast designs in Fla.   I am in NC but it wasn't around the corner from me.  Basically 2 weekend road trips with my wife that made quick turnarounds back to work.  The cost was under 1700.00 and that included replacing one piece of glass.  The turn a round was two weeks.  For that two weeks I taped plastic over the window openings just under the top gutter and down to the beltline.  Even through a few storms it help up without leaking.
When I got the windows back they went in with out any problems.  They have held up for over 4 years so far and do have a lifetime warrantee for my ownership.   Cost is about double if you have them replace them, but you can stay in your coach at their site while the work is done.

For me the two mini vacations and the  price I paid were worth more than the time I would have had to put into the job.  I was working much more back then. 

Just throwing out a more reasonably priced option for you than the 7K figure.
Carl

98 Beaver Patriot Savannah
330 hp Cat 3126

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2022, 03:01:15 AM »
Richard
Years ago I had a 1998 model in which all the windows had seals that had creeped in.  I did the first one myself.  It was a difficult job and I was not happy with the result.  I then scheduled a trip to Searcy Arkansas and the RVFogDr.  They did a great job with the other 9 windows.  At that time, they were charging $200 for each window, I do not know what their current rates are.  If you are in their area, I would recommend you let them do it.  They let you park overnight on their lot with 50 amp hookups.
Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Richard Good

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2022, 02:53:52 AM »
Thanks, I will look them up.

Richard Good

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2022, 10:04:23 PM »
Hi Richard Davis, well I called them and they can do them $275/ window now. Not bad I think.