Author Topic: Atwood Hydro Flame Excalibur 8900 Series II  (Read 5108 times)

Wayne Tull

Atwood Hydro Flame Excalibur 8900 Series II
« on: January 01, 2012, 11:26:25 PM »
The Fan motor on my furnace (original in '93) started making noise, so I removed the unit to see about replacing the motor. After getting the motor out, I thought I probably should check the heat exchanger. It has crack (about 2+ inches long) in the heat exchanger, also the burner had a considerable amount of rust build up, that would effect it's efficiency. There was no CO2 alarm going off in the coach.  Just something to maybe check, if you have an older RV with an original furnace.  
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 12:36:26 AM by 14 »

Wayne Tull

Re: Atwood Hydro Flame Excalibur 8900 Series II
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2012, 12:40:03 AM »
Replaced the 8900 with the Atwood XT 2540 2 stage furnace (comes with a special digital thermostat).  A nice upgrade, much quieter when it switches down to the lower output/speed.  Easy change out, used the plenum from my original furnace to match my floor vent interface, and the bedroom thermostat no longer controls the furnace.  I was disappointed to find poor workmanship/build quality compared to my original furnace.  I made a mod to the exhaust pipe to improve sealing and reduce heat transfer to the gas control valve.  All that said very happy with the upgrade.