Author Topic: Flex drain hose pulled loose from hard plumbing  (Read 11432 times)

Jerry Parker

Flex drain hose pulled loose from hard plumbing
« on: September 03, 2014, 03:12:29 AM »
First I have to confess that I traded my 98 PT on a 2003 Monaco Dynasty from Guaranty RV in Junction City, but still am a BAC member.  3 days after taking delivery of the Monaco at the FMCA rally, noticed water all over the floor by the sinks. Took the cabinet wall apart under kitchen sinks and found the flex hose pulled loose from the hard plumbing. Looks like someone jury rigged it. Took the coach to Guaranty RV in Junction City and had the flex hose fixed as well as several other items they agreed to fix. Left last Friday and on Monday the flex hose pulled loose again. Anyone have any ideas how to make a permanent fix. I have an appointment with Guaranty RV again on the 10th. Would like feedback on any ideas.
Thanks
Jerry
2003 Dynasty (still a Beaver at heart)

Joel Weiss

Re: Flex drain hose pulled loose from hard plumbing
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 03:37:54 AM »
I don't know your specific situation but on my PT I had a similar problem shortly after I bought it.  I ended up replacing all the flex hose but the key change I made was making the length substantially longer than the factory had used.  What I noticed was that the factory installation put stress on the hose when the slide was extended.  I left an extra loop of hose so that the slide didn't strain it at all.  I realize that I run the risk of slowly slowing drain water clogging the hose, but we have used a screen filter in the drain which traps a lot more food residue than the normal sink strainer would.

Gary Wolfer

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 03:42:50 PM »
If you are talking about pex tubing Now days get some pex or shark bite fittings and a pex cutter and shark bite removal tool. Save yourself a lot of hard work and problems plumbing is my downfall now even I can fix them with relatively no problems, Beauty of shark bite fittings is they will turn 360 and will not leak.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 05:14:12 PM »
I think he is referring to Flex pipe, Gary.  It has proven problematic to several of us with galleys in slideouts.  It's about 1 1/2" diameter, white, drains the kitchen sink, and is designed to move with the slide, but if it's not cut to just the precisely right length it either crimps somewhere or apparently can pop off a fitting, though mine is PVC glued into place.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 06:24:17 PM »
[size=14][/size]We had to replace the flex tubing 3 years ago  while on the road.  The nearest Lowes carried 1.5" dia swimming pool hose that is black with a blue outer spiral.  It has worked flawlessly with out an issue.  Relatively inexpensive and easy to work with.

Just my 2 cents.

Paul

Jerry Parker

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 06:25:40 PM »
You are correct Joel, It is the flex hose like the one in your picture. I am thinking Monaco may have the hose cut a little to short, although the hose is stiff enough that it couldn't be much longer or it would put more pressure on the hard plumbing when the slide is retracted. After Guaranty fixed it last week, when it popped out of the hard plumbing again, it actually broke the side out of the hard plumbing where the flex hose was attached. That tells me (I think) that there is a lot of pressure on the hose when the slide moves in and out. I think the hose could be a foot or so longer and still have room to roll back when the slide is retracted. I think I will suggest that to Guaranty when I go back there next week. I would appreciate any more feedback anyone might have. More ideas is better!

Thanks for all the posts.
Jerry

George H. Wall

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 06:34:53 PM »
Radiator hose with stainless steel clamps works well!!  Henry

Jerry Parker

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 12:53:43 AM »
Paul, did the swimming pool hose have the same flexibility as the original. The flex hose in mine seems very stiff.

Henry, is the radiator the wire wrapped type? If so, seems like it would be to rigid.

I had a post on the IRV2 web site that said he had the problem in a Foretravel and the dealer used a heavy rubber boot between the flex hose and the PVC manifold and clamped it with heavy stainless steel hose clamps and has had no more problems for 2 years.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2014, 08:48:02 AM »
The rubber boot may be a good idea, but I think the longer you can make the flex pipe the better because the stress is spread out over the longer length and less concentrated at the ends.  On my rig the hose crimps at the bottom fitting, as seen in the photo in my previous post, because the top fitting moves out with the slide.  A longer hose lessens the tendency to crimp.  I added several inches to mine before it's loop would hit the inside of a cabinet panel when the slide is closed.  Some owners have stress and failures at the top instead, depending on slide configuration.

Joel
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 07:26:51 PM by 13078 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Paul Schwalen

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 12:12:16 PM »
[size=14][/size]Jerry,

I don't remember the amount of flexibility in the original hose but I do remember the kinks that caused the leaking.  This new hose still looks like new with no sign of kinking.  

Paul

George H. Wall

« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2014, 02:45:20 PM »
Jerry, The radiator hose I used did NOT have the wire inside, it is not needed. I tried replacing with a form of pex and it pulled off again. Use a little plumbers dope on the ends, tighten the steel clamps, and it will last longer than you have the coach, with no flexability issues. I agree  to use a little more length than the original.

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2014, 05:05:54 PM »
Although I agree in principle with what Henry suggests, in thinking about why RV manufacturers don't simply use radiator hose in the first place I surmise that the interior lining may not be nearly as smooth as Flex PVC, and over time friction may result in some degree of debris buildup clinging inside radiator hose that's designed for water and antifreeze mix only.  I'm sure some consideration goes to the theory that rubber eventually will break down, whether it takes 5 years or 25, and PVC won't.  Except of course where it gets overstressed due to improper installation techniques by coach manufacturers.  The Flex also fits inside fittings and is supposed to be set with PVC cement/glue;  the transition between fittings is relatively smooth like drain systems are designed to be - no fitting rim jutting into an outflow to trap or slow it.  Unless you used a radiator hose with at least one flared end, the outflow end would violate that drain plumbing principle because instead of being glued inside that outbound fitting, it is clamped around its outside, so the fitting's lip inside stands against the flow.  

All that said, admittedly there are places in home drain plumbing where rubber fittings and conduits are used to provide flexible adaptive, hose-clamped connections between piping, such as disposals, dishwasher connections, and ABS-to-iron sewer pipe adaptions.  They aren't subject to the same substantial heating and cooling of pressurized liquids within them that automotive radiator hoses are.

Just my 2 cents and welcoming anyone else's.
-Joel
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 05:20:44 PM by 77 »
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2014, 05:17:39 PM »
Jerry,
There are several options that will work for the sink drain hose. Just be sure that it is easily flexed, and that it does not kink or stretch as the slide is moved in and out. I personally prefer the pool hose that you can buy from Home Depot or Lowes, but that is primarily because of accessibility, but it works great.

Gerald  
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 07:21:40 PM by 13078 »

LaMonte Monnell

• BAC Member
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2014, 05:04:41 AM »
I support the pool flex hose from Lowes or Home depot! Mine split last summer and thats what I used. The hardest part was getting to the ends to remove the old hose and install the new one!
Lamonte & Patti Monnell
2001 Beaver Contessa Naples DP 40' 2 slides
CAT 3126B
2021 Chevrolet Silverado Trail Boss

Weeki Wachee,Fl

Joel Weiss

« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2014, 03:14:38 PM »
Quote from: LaMonte Monnell
The hardest part was getting to the ends to remove the old hose and install the new one!

When I replaced mine I couldn't get to the location where the hose met ABS pipe coming from the kitchen sink but I could reach a spot closer to the sink.  So I cut the ABS and connected the flex hose to my newly cut end.  In other words I made the flex hose run slightly longer by eliminating a piece of ABS.  Has worked fine for three years now.