Author Topic: NoCold (Norcold) quit  (Read 5891 times)

Bill Stireman

NoCold (Norcold) quit
« on: November 11, 2014, 11:13:14 AM »
Need a recommendation for a place to service or replace our Norcold 1200.  We are in Shepherdsville, KY traveling I-65 to FL so I would like to find someone along our route.  The refrig is showing "no cold" so I think our new "Amish Cooling Unit" may have failed.  We are going to put dry ice in the unit to try to keep our food cold.

Bill Stireman
'04 Beaver Monterey Laguna
400 HP Cat

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
Re: NoCold (Norcold) quit
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 01:50:46 PM »
Bill I no longer have a Norcold unit in our rig but I did in the old coach. I once removed it and turned it upside down later that day I reinstalled it and it worked good until we sold the coach. I don't know why this worked but it was something that folks talked about.
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Grant Ralston

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 02:27:05 PM »
Bill,
Do you have the Norcold manual with you to try the reset procedure?  I can't offer any advice on a repair location, but I did find the following suggestions on another forum regarding your problem (I can't vouch for its authority!):

The first time you do the "reset" you will need to take the cover off of the circuit board to get at the pins. I suggest that you consider drilling a hole in that cover to allow you to insert a probe or wire end into the pin location to save a lot of time and effort. You can tape over the hole to keep dirt and bugs out. The "noco" is a three strikes and you're out type of thing. After you get that the 3rd time in one occurrence, the boards locks you out and you have to do the manual reset. Follow the instructions in the note above and you should get it reset. The "noco" means no cooling, so you will need to check a few things. BAttery level is one. Make sure they are charged. There may be obstruction at your burner for LP or in the flue. Remove the cover over the burner and examine the flame and burner. IF the flame isn't blue or isn't fully burning, there may be debris on the burner. You can remove it and clean it or attempt to clean it without removal. There may be spiders, ect in your flue. It may also be rust. Take a metal rod and use a hammer to tap it against the flue and see what happens. IF there isn't rust falling, you may have to pull a swab through the flue. This will require you to go to the top og the MH and remove the cover over the flue and maybe remove a piece of a grateing in order to remove a spiral device from the flue ( can't remember the name of it) that is hanging in there with a chain which keeps it from falling. Once that is done the flue should be clear and you can run a swab through it.  Take it one step at a time. Check battery, reset, check burner, then flue.

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 04:25:54 PM »
Turning an absorption type reefer upside-down often works and is sometimes referred to as "burping" the reefer. I've done it on smaller units with success. I think it helps to get the liquid ammonia flowing again.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Orman Claxton

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2014, 03:06:50 AM »
Bill
You said you needed to repair/replace your 1200 Norcold
What are the letters following the 1200
Friend had his 1200LRIMSS catch fire

Has anyone had a problem or recall in this model?

Bill Stireman

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2014, 12:17:06 PM »
It is now repaired and operating.  I found a mobile  rv repair company in Decatur, Ala.  I used dry ice to keep foods cold or frozen while the refrigerator was out and that worked very well.  The problem was a bad heating element.
Orman, my unit is a 1200 LRIM which has the recall fix so it won't catch fire.  If ever in need of a repair in the Decatur area call Andy's Mobile RV Service 256-355-2090.

Bill Stireman
400 HP Cat

Keith Cooper

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 12:02:27 PM »
Bill, when you replaced the Norcold cooling unit on the refrigerator with the Amish Cooling Unit the elements of the so-called Norcold recall fix should have been removed. It doesn't provide any value to a fridge with the Amish cooling unit

Bill Stireman

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2014, 12:16:08 PM »
Keith, when we installed the new cooling unit we did remove "the fix".  A correction to my earlier post.  The service man in Decatur diagnosed incorrectly that the fix was to replace a bad heating element.  The diagnosis now is that we need a new circuit board.  We are now in Williston, FL back on dry ice and expecting a new circuit board/optical control kit which is supposed to arrive at Camping World Ocala today.  We have another repairman scheduled to install the new board this afternoon.  Hopefully this will fix the refrigerator as buying dry ice is quite expensive.

Bill Stireman
400 HP Cat