Author Topic: Keyless Entry/Security System issues  (Read 3915 times)

Bill Staley

Keyless Entry/Security System issues
« on: July 01, 2017, 09:41:12 PM »
I am chasing an issue where if I touch my air horn it won't shut off till I turn the ignition off and then back on.  The door and bay locks also are locking "on their own".  The two issues seem to be interrelated.  Can't give a specific set of circumstances yet where this can be proven....just seems to occur.  I am investigating both systems to see how they are connected.  It seems the horn is used as an alarm for something.  I have attached pictures of the contents under the panel in front of the steering wheel.  Can anyone tell me what the one with the 2 buttons is.  I believe the other is the leveling sensor.  Sure appreciate the help!

Bill Staley

Re: Keyless Entry/Security System issues
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 08:38:29 PM »
I finally found this picture and description in the manual.  However, What do the ABS and TAG buttons do?  I can't find that in any of the documentation. 

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 09:29:05 PM »
The air horn issue smells like it could be Smartwheel related, as per occasional threads in the Forum. 

The door/bay locking thing many of us have discovered happens, Bill, whenever the keyless entry pad outside gets wet.  It acts up until it dries out inside.  The cure is super-sealing the pad in its escutcheon and the escutcheon to the wall.

Others would have to comment as to whether or not the air horn and lock problems could somehow be intertwined, as I don't see it;  but these rigs are electrically complex.  For example, under my dash port on the metal bracket is an emergency flasher unit, tech access port, and ABS test button (I think).  Also under there is the small black box that controls the Magnadyne keyless entry system.  The horn and flasher are on the same circuit breaker in my 12v electrical bay.  So there are unlikely but conceivable scenarios.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Gerald Farris

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 10:54:47 PM »
Bill,
In my opinion, there is a very low chance that the two items are related.

Gerald
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley

Bill Staley

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 03:33:28 PM »
I have been looking at the wiring diagrams and am wondering if the horn issue could be a bad relay.  There is a relay labeled "horn" in the electrical bay.

Gerald Farris

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 04:13:04 PM »
Bill,
Since you said that the horn stops as soon as you cut off the key, the relay is a possibility only if it is wired so that it is powered through the ignition switch. You need to check for power at the relay with and without the key on, as well as the relay trigger circuit when the horn is activated and released. These simple checks with a voltmeter will determine if your horn relay is the problem.

Gerald   

william harrison

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 07:51:42 PM »
 I had the same problem with my 03 Marquis.
It turned out to be a short circuit in the
Entry touchpad, but in my case it also locked
all the outside.  A leaking seal around the pad was the
reason. Look up the circuit diagram and cut the
power wire, or order a new touchpad.