Author Topic: separate ice maker  (Read 3481 times)

Lyle Johnson

separate ice maker
« on: January 16, 2011, 11:18:52 PM »
I have a 2000 Marquis with a separate ice cube maker.  It blows the GFI breaker when I turn it on.
I have had it out and into the service man, and he says it works fine. Then, I plug it into another circuit and it blows the GFI.
I replaced all of the GFI units in the coach and it still blows the circuit.  Once in awhile it will work when I plug it into the shop
circuit.
I called U-line and they were very helpful in that she indicated that maybe the unit is taking more amps to start the unit.
I don't know where to go with the unit now, other than make a nice storage place in the coach but I did like the ice maker when
it was working.
Can someone add anything to my dilemma?
Thank you...
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:50:51 AM by 14 »

Edward Buker

Re: separate ice maker
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 12:40:29 AM »
Try one of these GFCIs. I have found it to be less sensitive to errant tripping.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/electrical/outlets-plugs/leviton/20-amp-weather-resistant-gfci-74942.html

If it continues to trip with this GFCI in place then there may a component within the ice maker that is defective causing the leakage. I would suspect the compressor motor. If you can create a temporary wire set up, that has an AC milliamp meter in series with the ground line, you may be able to see the leakage if it is a constant. Not sure that will help solve the problem.

Make sure all of the wire connectors, lug connectors, etc. are tight and clean within the icemaker and the outlet, and the breaker that feeds this unit. That includes the neutral and ground wire in the panel that is part of this circuit. A poor connection can cause this problem. Hope this helps.

later Ed

Lyle Johnson

Re: separate ice maker
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 01:47:00 AM »
Ok...thank you. I will try that tomorrow and see what happens...