Author Topic: SurgeGuard  (Read 4014 times)

Bernie Vujicic

SurgeGuard
« on: February 01, 2011, 04:31:44 AM »
Hi, our coach is getting power normally when hooked to shore power but is not charging with the generator. I've checked all the breakers and I am wondering if I missed something. I've read some old threads on the transfer switch but want to check if anyone has had this problem.  Ours is a 40250 and it is suppose to have a fuse somewhere. Any ideas would help before I buy a transfer switch. The breaker on the Gen is good and all the diagrams I have show no fuse as SureGuard states. Of course this happened after a service in Vegas and drove back to the barn in the desert without checking it, then put it away for a month hooked up to 50 amp shorepower. Loading up to pull out Friday and discovered this today.

Thx
bv  

Edward Buker

Re: SurgeGuard
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 05:57:02 AM »
Bernie,

Be sure that the generator breaker has not kicked off on the generator panel where the hour meter is. Turn it off and then back on even if it looks to be not tripped. If you remove the cover of the transfer switch you can check if power (proper voltage) is coming in from the generator. If it is then you can assure yourself that the problem is that it is not switching over. If that is the case you may want to call the maker of the transfer switch for some guidance about what voltages should be fed to the transfer switch circuit board to run the circuitry so that you can verify that the input voltage is as it should be. If it is then probably you will need a new transfer switch.

later Ed  
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 04:38:22 PM by 14 »

Bernie Vujicic

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 06:15:26 AM »
Hi Ed,

I've got the cover off, I'll check it tomorrow. I'll try the breaker again, did it 4 times today, you never know.

Thx for your time.

bv

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 06:37:15 AM »
You have power distribution to the coach from the shore cord so you know for sure that power coming to the transfer switch is passing through and feeding the coach. The transfer switch is a dual set of relays that either connects the generator or the shore power. Not much else involved here. If you can measure 120v from the generator between the neutral (white)and each of the hot leads (usually red and black) at the transfer relay then you know your generator as a supply is fine. Some transfer relay boards will not connect if below 106V or so. The transfer switch could be fine and the generator not properly doing its thing. Sometimes there are LEDs on the circuit board that can give you some insight also. Hope this helps. Good luck and do not become part of the circuit....

later Ed