Author Topic: What is Oil Pan drain plug thread size on C13?  (Read 4510 times)

Mike Shumack

What is Oil Pan drain plug thread size on C13?
« on: December 21, 2019, 04:54:53 PM »
I would like to get a Fumoto oil drain plug for my C13. Then I can easily drain into 1 gallon jugs using the open/close lever on the drain plug.

While searching I cam e across the "Femco" oil drain valve. It looks more like a quick disconnect couple for a garden hose. They show the C13 drain plug with a 1-1/8" UNF thread. But I dont wnat that style, I want the Fumoto with the Open/Close lever and the nipple to attach a drain hose.

On the Fumoto website, I looked up the Plug options for the C13 and they have a 1-5/16 UNF to 1-1/8 UNF (adapter) and a 1-1/8 UNFdrain plug. Do I need the adapter?

Then I went to CAT Parts website to see what oil drain plug/pan my engine came with. Entering my engine serial number (lists my "build as shipped") but that says I have a shallow sump oil pan (p/n 229-6171). However my engine has the deep pan (I'm 90% sure I have a deep sump) as it holds 40 quarts of oil). Anyways the part number for the oil pan drain plug is (9X-6451) but doesn't give thread size. So that's no help.

Does anyone know what the drain plug threads size is? 2005 C13 Acert engine KCB21404

Dale Soule

• BAC Member
Re: What is Oil Pan drain plug thread size on C13?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 10:16:15 PM »
Mike, NAPA has them or you can go EZ oil drain valve.with engine size.  I bought one in May and love it,  You can also order a hose adapter. 
2006 Beaver Monterey Montclair IV
Chassis: Magnum
Engine: C-9-400
Dale Soule'

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2019, 11:28:08 PM »
Mike, I thinK the one you want from Fumoto is T205NS this is the one that a 5/8" hose can be connected. it is 1 1/8 with the hose nipple, the SL15 has a plastic elbow on it already.

After further research I'm not so sure a KCB is supposed to be a Acert motor which would take a T212RNS plug. And I don't remember what size my plug was when I changed oil last spring. I would back the plug out a bit and span it for size to make sure I get the correct one.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 01:49:19 AM by Lee Welbanks »

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 02:50:44 AM »
I guess the smart thing to do would be to buy the drain plug and the adapter, then send the adapter back if I don't need it.

I don't want to mess with the drain plug until I'm ready to change the oil. At that time I want to the parts ready so I can install them and refill the engine.

Thanks

Bill Lampkin

• BAC Member
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 03:03:07 AM »
Well now you have time to gulp down the 10 gallons of milk, so you have the empty jugs you'll need  for the drained oil!
Chug-a-lug1
2005 Patriot Thunder Lexington, 3 slides
40' tag axle (short wheelbase)
525 hp C13

"Goin where the weather suits my clothes..."

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 03:52:00 PM »
In a week or so I'm going to slide under the coach and back out the plug a bit and measure it with calipers just to make sure I get the correct one.
I'm not a fan of messing with oil pan drain plugs and never ever install the plug unless you tighten it to spec, we had a mech just start the plug, and filled it with oil and never finished the plug, guess what a in frame costs after the plug came out.
When we started using the valve drain plugs we would safety wire the handle so there was no way it could come open in flight.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 07:43:59 PM »
The Fumoto valve also has a "snap on" safety cover -if you want that. On the C13 the drains are on the side of the pan so it's less likely any road debris is going to popup and knock off the drain valve.

http://www.fumotousa.com/results.php?make=10&year=9999&model=3606&makeid=CATERPILLAR&modelid=C-13+Acert+Model%2C+C-15+Acert+Model+

Chuck Jackson

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 09:38:02 PM »
I have the Fumoto on my coach and Ram 6.7 CTD. It makes it so easy to change the oil and drain into gallon jugs plus taking an oil sample. Beware, that the Fumoto website listed the wrong size for my C9s.  That's a good idea to measure the thread OD or know someone that has already installed the valve in the same engine as yours.
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4328
2008 Beaver Contessa 40' Pacifica 425 Cat - Sold

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2019, 04:45:26 PM »
Gentleman, first of all wish everyone a Happy Holidays and let’s look forward for a great year ahead.
I would like to add few thoughts on oil pan drain plug sizes in question. Please note that most cat drain
plugs are Metric and not SAE thread and SAE thread will screw into a metric opening. The thread
pitch is same for about first 1/2 inch. The reason the SAE male thread will screw into a metric hole
because the O.D.of opening is bigger about .044 in size. Use caution and check size. A person can
be fooled into thinking that fitting screws in and gets tight and yes it will because your are just catching the middle to top of the threads. Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Mike Shumack

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2019, 05:00:44 PM »
Mike, I think the one you want from Fumoto is T205NS this is the one that a 5/8" hose can be connected. it is 1 1/8 with the hose nipple...

...I'm not so sure a KCB is supposed to be a Acert motor which would take a T212RNS plug...

That's the confusing part. The KCB is an Acert engine but it is not the "last" ACERT model made with the ARD head and DPF (the "LEE" serial number).

Well, I ordered the T212RNS plug (the one with the larger thread. 1-5/16"). I'll post back and let you know if it fits.

Dave Atherton

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2019, 06:01:04 PM »
Mike , in all due respect Caterpillar has total of 8 different oil pans listed for Cat C-13 S/N LEE prefix.on all ( 8 ) uses the same oil pan drain plug. Caterpillar part number 9X-6451
Dave Atherton Retired Cat Mechanic

Mike Shumack

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2019, 06:48:54 PM »
Thanks Dave.
I found the part number (I listed it in my first post) but the part number doesn't help me figure out the thread size of that drain plug.

I ordered the Fumoto drain valve with the larger size threads, so I will know in a week or two (when I change the oil) if the plug I bought is the correct size.

Mike Shumack

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2019, 08:58:20 PM »
I finally got around to checking the Drain Pan plug size (I loosened it enough to get some calipers on the exposed threads) and it is the 1-1/8 - 12 UNF size (the Fumoto T205NS).
Not the larger 1-5/16 thread which is the T212NS.
This is on a 2005 CAT C13 engine (KCB engine serial).

Lee Welbanks

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2019, 11:11:28 PM »
Mike, you beat me to it and yes I also looked it up on Dorman and they list it as 11/8" x 12 thread.