Author Topic: Shore power cord won’t retract  (Read 2353 times)

Tim Hanson

• BAC Member
Shore power cord won’t retract
« on: February 12, 2022, 08:39:56 PM »
My 1998 Marquis shore power cord will pay out easily. It will not retract anymore. It has worked in the past when I would help push it up towards the motor but has now stopped retracting. The motor is running both in and out switch. Any ideas?
1998 Marquis

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
Re: Shore power cord won’t retract
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2022, 04:05:39 AM »
Which power reel do you have?  My 2006 has the Glendinning CM series, but yours may be the CR series or some other brand entirely.  You might do a search on Glendinning power cord reels.  They have adjustment information in their manuals.
Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Tim Hanson

• BAC Member
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2022, 05:08:19 PM »
Thanks Richard. It looks like i have the CM style looking up into the box. Do you know the best way to access the motor? Can I access it from the top or do I need to remove the box and come in from the bottom? I read the manual and it sounds like it might be my limit switch.
1998 Marquis

Richard Davis

• BAC Member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 05:16:14 PM »
Tim

Sorry!  Can't help with location assistance.  My unit is out in the open with the motor directly available.  Maybe someone with a coach the same year as yours will chime in.

Richard
06 Monterey Ventura IV, C9 400 hp

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2022, 06:22:01 AM »
With age and use, cord wear or some greasy deposits having accumulated on the cord while outside the coach can make the motor’s drive roller/wheel lose its grip. 

Does it have a knob or other device around the drive roller(s) or wheel visible for adjusting that?   Some units I guess are adjusted by adding spacers to wheel mounting screws/bolts, but ours is easier than that.  Our cord needed cleaning and roller grip tightened a couple of times, but still slips a bit.  Also I think cold weather stiffens the cord rubber so it’s not as easily gripped as in summer.

See if this manual might be helpful, though it might not be for your precise model.  And some reels are “hidden” on certain coaches and aren’t as easily accessed as on our Monterey.   
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1475420/Glendinning-Cablemaster.html?page=9#manual

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat
The following users thanked this post: Tim Hanson

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2022, 03:35:29 PM »
When we first purchased our coach in Aug 2012, the power cord would easily pull itself in and out.  After a few years, the cord would need help pulling itself up and into the coach.  Over time I developed a technique that works almost every time to retract the cord.  I keep a "shop rag" in the doorway where the cord comes out of the coach.  First, I handle the cord using the shop rag to keep my hand from turning black.  Second, when retracting the dusty/dirty cord, I wipe off about four feet of cord and help lift the weight off the cord so that the power retraction device has much less weight to pull.  This is done in a series of four foot sections of cord - wipe clean four feet of cord, grab the cord with the rag, then flip the power retract switch and lift on the cord until the four feet of clean cord is up and in the coach, then repeat about ten times.  Later, I had some retraction issues with what appeared to be the cord coiling properly into the storage bucket. So third, now I twist the cord about a half-turn clockwise where I hold the cord with the shop rag.  This tends to help the cord coil more easily into the bucket.

It also helps a lot to pull the length of the cord about 90 degrees away from the coach and then bring the plug-in head back up to the coach.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 04:04:25 PM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!
The following users thanked this post: Tim Hanson

Roy Warren Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2022, 11:24:57 PM »
I had a problem and it was that there is a bolt that is a guide at the upper side of the box.  My cord would bind and it seemed like I could do nothing to make it work properly.  I took it to Bend RV Repair and Jeff Spears (no longer owns Bend RV Repair) took the cord all the way out and found a bolt at the bottom of the box.  He then found where it belonged, re-installed it and everything has worked perfectly since then.  I also clean my cord every time I pull it in with a shop rag (damp but not wet enough to leave water on the hose) so it will collect the dust and clean the cord. 
Roy Warren
Roy Warren
2005 Patriot Thunder
Cat C-13

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2022, 11:38:25 PM »
That’s how I do it also, Roy.  A rag held loosely around the cord as it reels in gets most of the grit, grass, duff, and moisture off.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Frank Wright

• BAC Member
  • Beaver Contessa 42M
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 07:41:32 PM »
have you checked the Fuse?
2008 Contessa

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2022, 10:34:55 PM »
have you checked the Fuse?

Tim says it’s motor runs okay.
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
C9 400HP Cat

Tim Hanson

• BAC Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2022, 02:36:02 AM »
Thanks to everyone. I was really hoping that cleaning and twisting the cord would work. The cord will pay out and retract to the same spot each time. The motor makes a different sound at that point. I will try calling glendinning on Monday and see what they have to say. I’m starting to think it’s the limit switch but I’ll check and see. Access to the motor still looks ugly but I think I have to remove the insulation in the engine compartment to get there.
1998 Marquis

Eric Maclean

• BAC Member
  • Karen and I would like to wish you all happy trail
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2022, 02:07:21 PM »
Tim
Can you see the cord storage it sounds like the cord maybe jaming up in the storage locker and causing your problem.

Eric
1997 Patriot Yorktown
3126-B
2009 Chevy HHR
Roadmaster falcon tow bar
Demco Air Force one tow brake.