Author Topic: Transfer switch switch recall  (Read 8654 times)

steve zannella

Transfer switch switch recall
« on: March 03, 2012, 04:58:37 PM »
Does anybody know about this transfer switch that can cause rv fires? Is it used as replacements in older Beavers?

Navistar recalls 249 for electrical system
By Kelly Cauthorn @ 9:29 AM :: :: 0 Comments ::  :: RV Owners
Actions: E-mail | Permalink | Comments (0) | Kick it! | DZone it! | del.icio.us

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Navistar Inc. is recalling certain model year 2008-2010 Beaver, certain model year 2009-2011 Monaco, and certain model year 2009-2011 Holiday Rambler RVs manufactured from Oct. 25, 2007 through Aug. 26, 2010, equipped with Iota ITS-50R 50 amp automatic transfer switches. The Iota ITS-50R 50 amp automatic transfer switch bus bar and/or electrical connections may be inadequate to handle the electrical load.

Electrical overload of the transfer switch could lead to overheating, and a fire, increasing the risk of property damage, personal injury or death.

Navistar will notify owners, and dealers will replace the Iota ITS-50R transfer switch free of charge. Owners may contact Navistar at 1.800.448.7825.

Navistar's recall number is 12504.

Customers may contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1.888.327.4236 (TTY: 1.800.424.9153), or go to www.safercar.gov.

SOURCE: NHTSA's Office of Defects Investigation

Gerald Farris

Re: Transfer switch switch recall
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 11:14:02 PM »
Steve,
Iota Engineering is not a big supplier in the aftermarket, so although there is a possibility that one of their transfer switches could have been installed in an older Beaver coach, it is so remote that I would not be concerned. However if you have had a transfer switch replaced (very unlikely), and this concerns you, just look at the transfer switch and the brand name will be on the outside of the case. If it is not an Iota switch, all is good, but if by some remote chance it is, you can contact the company for any details.

Gerald  

Ron Gettig

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 04:52:48 PM »
Gerald,
I had the ITS-50R in my 04 Santiam and it caught fire and melted while we were in Knapp Wisconson last August.. I would advise everyone to check their switches..

Ron Gettig

Les Marzec

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 06:38:18 PM »
On s semi-related item to inverters.  Here is a link to some info about using portable electric heaters while on shore power.  I found another article from a page that told of fires related to using space heaters.  FYI and just a word of caution.  I did not know this.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/potential-problems-using-a-space-heater-in-coach-115604.html

Wayne Tull

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 06:56:23 PM »
Interesting that you should mention the space heater and the inverter potential problem, since I've just lost power on an inverter pass through line and was running a 1500 watt space heater on it. I was in the process of trouble shooting this problem and was down to checking the inverter.  Thanks for the information.

Les Marzec

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 12:50:24 AM »
Let me know what you found as I had a similar issue with using the heater.  Seems that the Automatic transfer switch my not be working properly as when I discount from shore power, my inverter stays on and I can not turn it off at the RCGS-7 control panel.  I talked to Xantrex and they thought that it might be a transfer switch.

Thanks

Tom and Pat Fudale

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 01:12:40 PM »
I installed a two circuit breaker box, ran two circuits to one new outlet in front and one in the rear. use a extra 30 amp power cord connected to unused 30 amp outlet on park power box. connected two electric heaters in those new outlets and have no power going through the inverter.

Wayne Tull

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 04:50:14 PM »
OK, this post diverges from original, but is to answer a question.  I lost power to one leg of my 50 amp service that goes through my inverter that had been running a 1500 watt space heater. The problem was the result of a twist connector that was taped, but not tight that turned into a heater at that point and burned out the connection. So sometimes it takes nineteen years and certain conditions for a problem to show up. It was inside a metal junction box so it wasn't going anywhere from a safety stand point.