Author Topic: Hurricane boiler exhaust pipe  (Read 7008 times)

Ken Ullman

Hurricane boiler exhaust pipe
« on: September 24, 2014, 10:40:20 PM »
Hello All:

The Hurricane boiler exhaust pipe on my 2000 Marquis has come loose. I would like to know if I can remove the existing pipe that runs from the Hurricane (located front, passenger side and runs diagonally to towards the rear of the coach) because it is rusted out and replace it with a shortened pipe that runs from the Hurricane to the passenger side of the coach, nearer where the Hurricane is located.

I believe that I would need only about 2 feet of pipe and a bracket. The exhaust fumes will then come out into the passenger side patio area, however I don't think it would be a problem because when it is so cold that we need the Hurricane, we won't be sitting outside in the patio area anyway. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Ken

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
Re: Hurricane boiler exhaust pipe
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 11:24:16 PM »
Ken,
I can't see why that wouldn't work. However, not sure I'd like to smell the fumes when I had to open the basement. Also, there is a chance you could get fumes in the coach via the windows on the passenger side. My pipe came loose (no rust though) and I simply ran bolts down from the basement to ensure the brackets wouldn't come loose again. I think this is a relatively common problem as I had the same issue on my 01 Contessa.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 11:28:26 PM »
Ken,
Your plan will work, but you need to be careful with your choice of the elbow as it leaves the Hurricane. A pre-bent exhaust pipe will not work because it is not a sharp enough bend, and therefore it will decrease your ground clearance too much. However, there has been a post on this forum where a member found a stainless steel elbow that would work, or you can use a copper plumbing elbow like the factory did when your coach was built. Also be careful to allow adequate clearance for the bottom of the coach because the pipe can get very hot.

Gerald  

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 11:29:57 PM »
Ken,

I removed mine and ran down the passenger side in front of the rear wheels just in case.  We sometimes run the hurricane for showers even in the summer.

I went to a muffler shop with the demonsions and had it made and installed it myself.

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2014, 10:55:24 AM »
On our '98 Pat, ITR in Vancouver changed the exhaust to the passanger side as you describe.  Over the next several years there were times when I would have preferred to have had it on the driver side.
ITR said the original exhaust was too long.  Some time later I had the chance to talk with Jim Rixon and he said it was designed that way to keep it cooler.
You be the judge!
Keith
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Richard Crane

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2014, 08:50:48 PM »
Ken,
We took our coach to ITR in Vancouver, WA for a variety of Hurricane problems which they quickly and economically fixed.
One was the removal of the long exhaust pipe. They replaced it with a new muffler and a curved exhaust so it just clears the body on the passenger side. We find it works great. The noise is little and we don't smell any exhaust. But as you said, you are not sitting outside when you run it for heat.
I hope this is helpful. Kevin Lambert is the guy at ITR. Very helpful and knowledgeable.
Richard & Judie Crane
2000 Marquis C 12

Marty and Suzie Schenck

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2014, 11:27:21 PM »
I know others have done it but I believe there are RVIA regulations that say it should not be on the passenger side and not under an awning. The Aqua/Hydro-Hot installation manual say's refer to RVIA regs. I could not find them. I just put a Gen-Turi exhaust pipe on the end to put the fumes up and over the coach. Marty

Jeremy Parrett

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 12:32:42 AM »
Hello,  Here is the link to my Hurricane exhaust elbow fix.
 http://forum.bacrallies.com/m-1389977531/s-18/highlight-hurricane/#num18
  It really glows when the funace is running.

Ken Ullman

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 11:24:02 PM »
Thanks to all for responding to my question! I have doubts about my idea of a short new exhaust pipe because of road clearance if the elbow is not sharp enough, and fumes issues ( not to mention regulations for exhaust under the awning). I went to Carrier in Eugene to have them reattach the existing pipe which had come loose in several places. I think it is the best thing for now and it works fine now. I guess Beaver did what they could given where the Hurricane is located, but the pipe and brackets are very heavy and prone to rust. Oh well, now to think about other things! thanks again for the input!
We have had the Marguis for four months now and really pleased overall.... drives nice and cabinets and décor are beautiful. The Cat C12 performs great.
I will most likely have questions about winterizing soon. We cannot use the Coach all winter but want to use it for part of the winter down south. That means either storing it down south and driving the car down to use it there, or winterizing and dealing with hazards of winter driving.... that is what I am agonizing about right now.
Ken

Tom and Pam Brown

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 01:05:25 AM »
Ken, when I ran my new exhaust it comes out just in front of the rear wheels passenger side. I do,not get any odor nor does it come out under the awning.  Your call on this but it works great.

Joel Weiss

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 08:37:10 PM »
Quote from: Tom and Pam Brown
Ken, when I ran my new exhaust it comes out just in front of the rear wheels passenger side. I do,not get any odor nor does it come out under the awning.  Your call on this but it works great.

Mine, which was installed by the previous owner is exactly the same and is made out of stainless pipe.  When the nozzle is clean and the system is running well the exhaust is virtually unnoticeable.