Author Topic: Backup Camera quit on 2003 Beaver Contessa  (Read 13788 times)

William Harmon

Backup Camera quit on 2003 Beaver Contessa
« on: June 21, 2016, 07:28:11 PM »
Brief history.  I purchased my 2003 Contessa in October of 2015 from the original owner in Oklahoma.  He employed full time truck mechanics  in his business and looks like the coach wash serviced regularly.  It had 34 K miles on it and I have put an additional 2K since purchase.  Backup camera was working at time of purchase but only in black and white.  Since then, I have cleaned Sony camera contacts with CRC Electronic Cleaner and on occasion it will work in color or black, but for the last month it hasn't worked at all.  Coach has the Aladdin Video Coach Monitor and a Silverleaf VMS 3.30 V.1.21A for Aladdin.  All help appreciated as we are planning a trip soon.  William

Edward Buker

Re: Backup Camera quit on 2003 Beaver Contessa
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 07:59:40 PM »
William,

It may be easiest to replace the camera but if you want to have a go at it, I have solved one intermittent camera problem on another brand but the construction technique may be very similar. For the most part the intermittent issues usually are contact problems like you suspected.

Usually oxidation is involved but also weakening of contact tensioning with age. True for any slip on type connections. There is some info in this link about the repair that I did with Marty S.  How much it pertains to your camera I am not sure but it would probably only take a half hour or so to pull it apart and see. Look for that issue and any solder joint that may be cracked around a component end.

http://beaveramb.org/forum/index.php/topic,5130.msg38441.html#msg38441

Later Ed

William Harmon

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 08:56:18 PM »
Thanks Ed for the info.  I'm going to pull the camera and take it apart.  Is there a way I could check to see if power is getting to the camera from the Sony monitor.  I think the signal routes through the Aladden Coach Monitor but I'm not to experienced in electronics.

Edward Buker

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 12:14:40 AM »
William,

Once you have the camera out do a search on the web if you do not have a manual, then see what wires powered it. You should be able to check the connection point at the camera with a meter to see if voltage is present, which is most likely a 12V supply feed from the coach.

In the prior post the Corrosion X I refer to, comes in a red spray can and acts to eliminate future oxidation and corrosion and is safe to spray on connection points and then wipe the excess off. I spray all the connection points that are external and exposed on the coach as well as the copper buses in the electrical compartment under the drivers seat.

Later Ed

William Harmon

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 04:43:57 PM »
Good Morning Ed,
I pulled the back off the camera and it looks pristine inside  No evidence of corrosion or anything loose.  The coach has been stored inside or in covered storage since day one and has had limited travel.  I did spray a small amount of CRC QD Electronic Cleaner inside and let it dry throughly.  What I did find is 8.41 volts coming in when Sony Monitor is in backup mode.  Is this possibly the problem?  Coax comes out of camera to a 6 pin connector, then splits to yellow banana plug which connects to coax.  1 red banana plug to grey wire with red stripe, then red and black wires thru a flat connector.  This point is where I found the 8.41 volts.  Camera is Sony model VCB-MH1 #100264
Thanks.  WH

Edward Buker

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 05:30:16 PM »
WH,

From what I found that unit is discontinued and the cable is a Sony item. The supply is supposed to be 8V so you do not have a power supply problem. Although the inside and board look pristine when it comes to RF signals it does not take much to interfere with them. I would look on the board for any push pin or movable plugs and slide up and down them or twist them if they are the round RCA type to renew the metal to metal contact surfaces. The type of oxidation I am talking about is not the blue or green stuff, it is a metal oxide that will look just like a clean metal surface. If you can unplug the video cable and not the power cable at the camera while having someone watch the video screen you may be able to tell if that cable is working by seeing if the plugging and unplugging disturbs the screen a bit. You may be able to connect another video out device at the camera end (if the video cable is separate) and see if it comes up on the monitor screen. Usually intermittent issues are connectors of some type but that is not a sure thing. If you can move the plugs on the board while the unit is powered up and someone watching the screen you may get to see if anything you do back there has an affect and therefor a clue....Good Luck with this.

Later Ed

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 06:09:51 PM »
WH,
Keep in mind you can replace the camera for ~$20. https://www.amazon.com/Jensen-JCAM1-Universal-Surface-Back-Up/dp/B00505LWNO/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1466615247&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=jenson+backup+camera
 I installed this as a replacement in my 00 Marquis and  it worked great.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 03:02:58 AM »
You might also check the connections in the cabinet above the drivers seat where it connects to a distribution module.  Look inside the cabinet and the end should come out when you remove 4 screws.  The module is behind the end block if yours is like mine.  My camera plugs in there before it runs down to the Aladdin screen.

William Harmon

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 03:21:54 AM »
Steve & Ed,
Thanks for your input and help on my Backup Camera.  After working on it most of the afternoon, I have decided to change the camera out.  I did purchase a CCTV Camera on ebay when the problem initially surfaced but didn't take it out of the box until today since it had no instructions with it.  I hooked the ebay camera up using an external 12 volt power source and it worked after reversing the polarity of the connector plug.  Don't know if it will operate on the 8 volt power supply as I haven't got to try this yet.  Camera is smaller than the Sony and will need to be built up to work in the hole the Sony was in.  Replacement camera is CCTV Camera model SP 2.1mm.  My Sony Camera was Siliconed in.  Do you have any suggestions on fitting the smaller camera in and if it should work on 8 volts or is 12 volts close by?

Chuck, your message came in as I was typing the above.  Do you know where exactly your camera plugs in.  I could check this before I remove the sony.
Thanks, William

Steve Huber Co-Admin

• Administrator Group
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 04:02:55 AM »
William,
Without knowing the brand name, I can't be sure but suspect it will not work at 8V. There must be a voltage regulator in the supply line somewhere, dropping the 12v to 8v. I'd look carefully in the area of the camera. If no joy, check to see if monitor is supplying 8v. If so you should be able to disconnect the wire and hook it to a 12V source.
Not sure how your camera was mounted. I used a piece of angle aluminum. I drilled and tapped a hole in one leg and inserted a bolt that then fit through the slot in the mount bar.  Used a nut and lock washer to secure it at correct position. I mounted the camera to the angle. Key in mounting it is to get the lens of the replacement camera in the same position as the original.
Do a search on backup camera. There's quite a bit of info available.
Steve
Steve
Coachless
2015- 6/24  07 Contessa Bayshore C9,  400 hp
2013-2015: 00 Marquis Tourmaline, C12, 425 hp
2005-2013: 01 Contessa Naples, 3126B, 330 hp

Roy C Tyler

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 05:41:51 AM »
I do not know where the power for the camera came from as I did not mess with the camera at all.  I added a color monitor above my Aladdin monitor so I could view my toad all the time.  I disconnected the feed from the Aladdin and connected it to my add on monitor.  I think I had to change a cable connection on the connection box above the drivers chair to get it to feed the new monitor correctly.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 05:43:44 AM by Roy 'Chuck' Tyler »

Edward Buker

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2016, 03:18:39 AM »
William,

It may very well work on 8V given there is a range of operating voltage these units are made to tolerate, the spec may not reach down to 8V, but if not, low voltage should not harm the camera in any way. You had a multi wire harness from the Sony, seems like you should be able to rewire at the dash end of one wire with an ignition on 12V supply wire and send that down the Sony harness to the new camera.

A build up of plastic or wood blocking around the new camera should work. I like to wrap the blocking that you put on the camera with the aluminum tape used to seal ductwork. It stays in place. Then silicone that whole assembly in place. Steve's bracket idea may be better if you have good mounting location and the assembly layout wise will work and align properly.

Later Ed

William Harmon

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 04:04:34 AM »
Thanks to each of you for trying to get my camera problem solved.  I didn't get to work on it much today due to other priorities and very hot conditions outside but i did try the new camera on the 8 volt feed and it would not function.  I will see if I can find a 12 volt feed tomorrow.
WH

William Harmon

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 07:32:57 PM »
 I have installed the new camera but still haven't found a 12 volt supply coming from the front.  I have been using a 12 Volt lipo battery to power the new camera but I have hit another problem, now the Sony Monitor on left side of driver will not come on.  The red light stays on.  Is it fuse protected??  Without the Sony Monitor being on, there are 0 volts coming to the back.  Maybe this is a bigger job than I thought it was.  All input appreciated.
Thanks, William

William Harmon

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2016, 08:14:09 PM »
Call off the dogs on the Sony Monitor.  I turned off the Coach and Chassi switches off for a few minutes and when I turned it back on, the Sony Monitor started working and the new camera is also working.  Still need a 12 volt power supply from the front for the camera.  Sorry for the false alarm on the Sony Monitor.  WH