Author Topic: window seals moveing  (Read 6141 times)

Steve Albert

window seals moveing
« on: July 15, 2016, 02:31:04 AM »
The window seal in the dual pane windows are moving away from the edge toward the center  is this easy to repair or do I need to replace the whole window?  :-\

Keith Moffett

• BAC Member
  • Every day is a blessing!
Re: window seals moveing
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2016, 06:49:37 AM »
Steve, this is called seal creep.  The window will continue to degrade until repaired.  While at a FMCA rally recently we had five such repairs.  The window frame was broken down with the glass removed, seperated and a new seal added.
A common price for such work seems to be $300 or more per window at a shop. 
A supplier at the rally (the Glass Boss I think) did ours quickly and professionaly for $100 each.
2007 Patriot Thunder
45' C-13
2006 Explorer Ltd.
DW is Carol
Safe travels and
May God bless!

Doug Allman

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2016, 12:00:28 PM »
Steve, Keith,
We have a 2004 Marquis and I believe all our windows are either single pane or safety glass (I have not looked for etching indicating safety glass). Someone else said we would have dual pane but I cannot see how or do not understand what they are calling dual pane. Dual pane in my understanding have a separation between the two panes of glass with a gas in that space to prevent fogging.

William Ervin

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2016, 02:07:57 PM »
I have a 96 Patriot just like yours, I've been seeing the same thing on my bedroom window.  The RV window repair places I've found here in Dallas are in the neighborhood of $300 per window.

Edward Buker

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 02:28:58 PM »
Doug,

If the seal is moving you have dual pane, they are just thinner then the house version (usually with an aluminum spacer) with less space between them so you have to look closer to recognize the space. If it was a single pane it would just be set in rubber like the windshield with so sealant between them.

Later Ed

Mike Humble

• BAC Member
  • BAC Past President 2014-2018
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 02:50:43 PM »
RV Glass Solutions or RV Fog Dr. are both advertisers in the Beaver Tales, and deal with these issues.  RV Glass will be a vendor at the upcoming International Rally in Canyonville, OR.  Either can give you some direction.
Mike
2008 Marquis 45' Cat C-15 600hp

Gerald Farris

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2016, 03:30:21 PM »
Steve,
If you are mechanically inclined and you have time and a helper, you can buy the seal kits and replace them yourself. If the windows are not fogging, the seal creep is only cosmetic but if it starts to fog, the seal needs replacement because moisture is between the glass layers and it will etch the glass and require glass replacement. All SMC era coaches have window seal issues to some extent, especially with a lot of altitude changes, but it is mostly cosmetic and you need to decide if it is worth the time and money to repair.

Doug,
All 2004 Beaver coaches, including your Marquis, have dual pane windows everywhere with the exception of the windshield.

Gerald

Steve Albert

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2016, 07:09:28 PM »
Thanks everyone for your helpful info  :)

Doug Allman

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2016, 09:12:43 PM »
Gerald,
When I next see you I am going to have you look at the windows because they are set in a black gasket and I can see no space between any glass. When we open and close they certainly appear to be single pane or safety glass only. They are about 3/16 to 1/4" thick panes of glass.

Edward Buker

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2016, 09:40:22 PM »
Doug,

Look for printing on the glass panel usually etched into a corner. On my windows you can actually see two printed labels overlaying the same area, one on the inside pane and one on the outer. Your locations of the labels may be different but check and see. Not all windows may have these.

Later Ed