Author Topic: Want to replace a few tiles - will plywood subfloor be destroyed?  (Read 2636 times)

Mike Shumack

I have a couple of chipped/scratched tiles in my kitchen of my motorhome. I have spare tiles.

Can the damaged tiles be removed without destroying the plywood underneath?

If the plywood gets damaged the job gets a lot bigger. If damage is likely I would probably be inclined to just skip the replacement and live with it as is.

I don't know if the tile thinset is directly applied to the plywood (I assume so), or if there is some sort of isolation membrane used on top of plywood. Looking at the Beaver brochure it looks like the tile is applied with thinset directly to the plywood (or OSB).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Jim Houghton

• BAC Member
Re: Want to replace a few tiles - will plywood subfloor be destroyed?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 02:56:05 PM »
I had some loose and a cracked tiles when I bought our coach. It was applied directly to the subflooring. I re-grouted everything and reapplied the loose tiles as well. I used one of those oscillating Dremmel  tools with the round diamond attachments and a vacuum. Took about two hours to do kitchen and bathroom area. Reattached tiles and replace a cracked one. Did grout the next day. Whole project was a two day job.

Jim
2021 Entegra Cornerstone
2003 Beaver Contessa Tuscany (sold)
Pleasant View, TN :)

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 03:07:20 PM »
Mike I have changed tiles twice in the entry and the Kitchen no problems your going to break the first tile but then they will come up if they are loose.

Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Mike Shumack

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 03:17:00 PM »
Thanks.
I hope no one here minds that I also post some of my questions on the irv2 forum. Some consider it rude to "double post". I don't want to be rude - I post here to get specific info on the Beaver line - and go to irv2 to get generic info on the Monaco brand too.

On the irv2 forum, one responder said Monaco uses tile "mastic" rather than thinset, and another said it looks like his coach builder used "construction adhesive" to secure the tiles.  Do you know what Beaver used (so I can reinstall the new tiles the same way)?

Thanks.

Jerry Carr

• BAC Member
  • 06 Pat. Thunder Cat. C13
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2018, 03:56:05 PM »
Mike I have used a thin set and found the performance good, one issue with mastic it can allow a mold to grow. I did a repair a few year ago on one tile and used panel adhesive and found out that it will not bond to the flooring depends on the rig some times the manufacturer used a strand board this product has wax in it again I found thin set's bond to work better. 
Regards,
Jerry Carr
Past Region 1 V.P.
Entegra Anthem
06 Pat. Thunder Cat C13

Fred Cook

• BAC Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2018, 04:47:33 PM »
Thanks.
I hope no one here minds that I also post some of my questions on the irv2 forum. Some consider it rude to "double post". I don't want to be rude - I post here to get specific info on the Beaver line - and go to irv2 to get generic info on the Monaco brand too.

On the irv2 forum, one responder said Monaco uses tile "mastic" rather than thinset, and another said it looks like his coach builder used "construction adhesive" to secure the tiles.  Do you know what Beaver used (so I can reinstall the new tiles the same way)?

Thanks.

Mike, I am a regular poster on IRV2 long before having purchased our Beaver. IRV2 is especially good on matters that are relevant to several other coach makers and you are also inquiring from a vast network.  But as you said there are some matters that are somewhat Beaver unique.
Fred & Cindy
2002 Beaver Patriot Thunder 455, C12 CAT
Towing 2019 Chevy Equinox, AWD Diesel
South Central Missouri, US Army Retired

Mike Shumack

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 05:03:51 PM »
Mike I have used a thin set and found the performance good, one issue with mastic it can allow a mold to grow. I did a repair a few year ago on one tile and used panel adhesive and found out that it will not bond to the flooring depends on the rig some times the manufacturer used a strand board this product has wax in it again I found thin set's bond to work better.

Good tip! Thanks

Tom Barnard

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 02:51:10 PM »
I'm actually a tile shop owner and have been in the business for most of my life.
There are many types of thinset out there, make sure you buy a premium flex thinset.
Customs Mega lite or Tec Super flex. These both will securely bond to the substrate and allow for some movement/flex without breaking bond.
Also, make sure to remove the grout all the way around each piece you are removing, not doing so will damage the one next to it when removing it.
Tom
« Last Edit: May 07, 2018, 12:25:17 AM by Tom Barnard »
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley, Jim Nichols, Stan Simpson, Jerry Emert, Neal E Weinmann