Author Topic: Bay Lights Not Working  (Read 10039 times)

Bart Mix

Bay Lights Not Working
« on: October 31, 2016, 01:41:44 AM »
I have owned a 2003 Beaver Monterey for 9 years or so. Recently I noticed none of my Bay lights are working. The bulbs test good. I haven't found a source of the problem & have not been able to locate a fuse for these lights. Anyone have an idea where I should be looking? Thanks!

Roy C Tyler

Re: Bay Lights Not Working
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 02:50:42 AM »
Check for a GFIC button on an outlet box in the bay.  It may be in the bay on the passenger side just above the water pump box.

Bart Mix

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 03:18:59 AM »
Thanks, but the Bay Lights are 12V & as far as I know I only have GFIC resets on my 120V circuits.
Bart from VA

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 05:16:13 AM »
So you're certain the Bay Lights switch in the entry area is "ON"?  If so, I'd initially dismount and check the switch for in and out 12v.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bart Mix

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 01:47:54 PM »
I found the fuse! It was in the 12V fuse panel in the bedroom! DUH! I guess I had just missed it the first time? Thanks for the responses.
Bart from VA

Bart Mix

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 03:22:37 PM »
Well RATS! I posted too soon! I replaced the 20 amp fuse & checked the Bay Lights & they still don't work but the fuse hasn't blown yet. I think my fresh water 12v dump valve is tied to this same circuit because I can't get it to function either? Therefore, back to step 1 to try to track down the problem. Wiring is wonderful as long as it is working!
Bart from VA

Bart Mix

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2016, 03:20:01 AM »
Joel - I don't understand your comment? My bay lights are operated individually in each bay. Not sure by what you mean when you ask if the bay light switch is on in the entry area? All of my other 12v lights in the coach operate properly. Only the outside bay lights are not operating by their individual switches. Could you provide me with more information as to what you are describing?
Many Thanks!
Bart from VA

David T. Richelderfer

• David, Leslie, Jasper, & JoJo
  • BAC Member
  • OSU, Class of 1971, RVing nearly 50 years
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2016, 04:10:46 AM »
To Joel's point, I have a pair of toggle switches on the center dash above the dash fan/ac switches that say Aisle Lights and Bay Lights.  The Bay Lights switch allows power to go to all the Bay Lights at once even though each individual Bay Light has its own on-off switch.  I leave all the individual Bay Light switches in their ON position and use the dash toggle switch to turn them all on and off at once.

Without the dash Bay Lights switch in the ON position, none of the Bay Lights will turn on.  Thus, with my setup I can turn them all on and off with one flip of the Dash Bay Lights toggle switch.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 04:13:45 AM by David T. Richelderfer »
2004 Beaver Marquis Sapphire

I had a dream... then I lived it!

Joel Ashley

• BAC Member
  • OSU Class of '73, Oregon Native. RVing 39 years
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 06:24:38 AM »
Dave reiterates my point, but illustrates that the Bay Lights switch varies in location with model and year.  On our '06 Monterey it's among a row of switches on the entry wall below the passenger side dash. 

Sometimes I'm reluctant to comment about the obvious for fear of insulting someone's knowledge, but the master rocker switch being off comes to mind as a #1 reason all the bay lights are unresponsive.  I guess it's possible your coach doesn't have one, or at least not in an obvious place, but after 9 years I'd think you'd have seen it if it was placed like most of ours is.  You may need to look harder for it.  Hopefully someone else here with an '03 Monterey can help.

Joel
Joel and Lee Rae Ashley
Clackamas, Oregon
36.9 ft. 2006 Monterey Ventura IV, aka"Monty Rae"
C9 400HP Cat

Bart Mix

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 05:51:04 PM »
Joel/Dave - thanks for the clarifications. I do not have a separate Bay Lights switch in the interior of my coach that I am aware. I do have a separate Ceiling Lights Switch & none of the Bay lights work - regardless of the Ceiling Light switch position. I do have 12v passing through my Bay Lights 20 amp fuse in my bedroom 12v fuse box. Therefore, it appears to me I am dropping power somewhere after the fuse panel & prior to the individual Bay compartment light fixtures? I have yet to find the appropriate 12v wiring diagram to confirm how they are wired or if there may be another fuse somewhere that I have yet to locate? As previously stated I think some time ago my fresh water 12v dump valve motor is also non functional & it appears they all stopped working about the same time? I thought I was told a tech moved my dump valve motor power source to the Bay Light fuse several years ago & all worked perfectly until the past few months. Still searching!
Thanks again for your input & suggestions!
Bart from VA

LEAH DRAPER

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2016, 06:13:42 PM »
There is on some coaches a switch for the bay lights that is on a panel by the front exit door.  I thought I had a similar problem till I realized that rocker switch for the bay lights.  Have you checked there??  It is where the switch is for the step in/out switch.

Bart Mix

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2016, 10:49:49 PM »
Leah - I do not have such a switch as explained above to Dave & Joel. Thanks for the suggestion!

Michael Hannan

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2016, 11:22:39 AM »
My Bay Lights master switch is located on the left side of my driver's instrument panel.

MJ

Bart Mix

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 12:57:16 AM »
I do not have a separate Bay Light master switch. Monaco states the Bay Lights are all daisy changed one to another & I might possibly have a faulty ground issue somewhere since the fuse is not blowing. Still haven't found the source of my power loss to the Bay Lights. Other suggestions?
Thanks!
Bart from VA

Larry Williams

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 06:03:14 PM »
Bart,

I have an 03 Monterey and have the wiring diagrams for it. Monaco was right there is no master switch on the 03 Monterey. They are connected directly to the fuse panel circuit #5. But since you earlier said that a tech connected the dump valve to the bay circuit and neither are working, I think I can guess your problem. The tech probably cut the bay circuit and spliced the three ends with a wirenut. I suspect that the wirenut came loose and broke the circuit. I would suggest you crawl under the coach and follow the dump wire to find the splice to see if it is loose.

Larry
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 10:10:08 PM by Larry Williams »
The following users thanked this post: Joel Ashley